Tuesday, January 20, 2009

people vs. planning

Authorities in Juba, capital of Southern Sudan, plans to embark on a demolition drive that will make thousands of people homeless, the Sudan Tribune reports.
"The Central Equatoria state governor, Maj. Gen. Clement Wani Konga has announced that the demolition exercise was aimed at immediate recovery of grabbed land by unauthorized squatters, saying it was in accordance with the town’s Master Plan."
The article refers to the demolition as a 'bulldozing exercise.'

Violation of the master plan is a sad excuse for destroying people's lives and livelihoods.

1 comment:

B_ridge said...

Hi Robert,

I am currently researching the squatting laws and riots going on in Amsterdam in response to the new legislation they are trying to pass. I stumbled across your blog, and I would really like to speak with you regarding the subject. I am a photographer applying for a grant to live with and document the squatters in Amsterdam.

Please email me with your contact info and I can tell you more about my project.

bridget.rehner@gmail.com

Thanks,

Bridget