Monday, February 05, 2007

Homeless encampment at risk in Japan

The city of Osaka, Japan is mulling a plan to evict 3,500 squatters as it prepares for a major sporting event. Japan Times has the ugly details.

(thanks to Anthony George for sending the link)

[And, for anyone who may have been wondering why this is my first post in more than a week: I'm in Lagos, Nigeria for the coming three months as I start work on a new book. I'll be posting new items from Lagos at some point soon.]


Bryan Finoki said...

good luck rob!
looking forward to the dispatches from Lagos!
and the new book, when it's ready.
good luck.

酔っ払い先生 said...

the eviction took place yesterday, have found some limited footage on youtube, the Japanese media haven't been showing much on TV this morning

Anonymous said...

Greetings Mr. Neuwirth,

I am a senior at Princeton University writing a thesis called "The Rise of Squatter Movements: A Case Study of Crimean Tatars."
I was wondering whether you are aware of any mathematical models depicting/predicting the spread of squatting. For instance, in your book, you mention that by 2030 there will be 2 billions squatters. Could you please tell me where you got this estimate?

Thank you.

I will be very grateful for any information.

You can reach me at

Thanks again.


sphinx said...

Hey I was at the eviction in Nagai it was awful. We didn't fight hard enough. Very good blog, encouraging to see.